Former Chelsea striker slams Bruno Fernandes decision to hand penalty duty to Marcus Rashford

Photo: Toby Melville/Reuters

Former Chelsea striker Chris Sutton has described Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandez decision to hand penalty-taking duties to Marcus Rashford in our win over Istanbul Basaksehir as “odd”.

We were leading 2-0 at Old Trafford thanks to two goals from Fernandes when Rashford was brought down in the penalty area.

Despite being the regular penalty-taker and on a hat-trick, the Portuguese handed penalty decision to teammate Marcus Rashford.

Pundit Sutton felt it was strange and questioned why Fernandes would be handing penalty duties to anyone else.

“That’s odd,” Sutton told BT Sport. “That’s odd because ultimately the manager is the one who, or should, make the decision on who takes the penalties and Bruno Fernandes isn’t the manager.

“That’s the way it should be. You can’t imagine under Sir Alex [Ferguson] it happening with him.

“Ultimately, it didn’t matter tonight but in a tight game if United don’t end up winning the game it ends up becoming a huge problem.”

The Portuguese has had a mixed fortune from the spot so far this season, scoring four, but needing two of those to be retaken after they were saved, while he also missed one against Newcastle in the Premier League.

He revealed on Tuesday night that after that match he had told Rashford he would be next up from the spot.

“Of course, everyone wants to score a hat-trick but after the game in the Premier League [against West Brom] I told Rashy the next one he will take,” said Fernandes.

“I think it will be important for him to keep going there and taking that confidence.

“As I say, it doesn’t matter who takes the penalties. The most important thing is scoring and the team scores. When the team scored I score too.”

Rashford has now scored five goals in the Champions League this season, only behind Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland on six.